A Guide to Choosing Windows for Your Home
If you’re constructing a new house or modifying an existing one, you may be wondering what details and specifics go into choosing windows.
You have some critical decisions to make—windows impact your home’s interior and exterior aesthetic. As you start the process of selecting windows, there as several elements should you consider. Here are a few:
- Appearance. Choose a window that will look beautiful and suit your preferences both inside and out.
- Energy Savings. Learn the facts about energy efficiency. Compare efficiency ratings before buying a window to help you save money on heating and cooling.
- Installation. Before buying windows, ask about the installation process. Proper window installation prevents air leaks and water damage to your home. Desert King Windows has the expertise to install your windows properly.
- Options. Don’t overlook the use of color in expressing your personality and enhancing your home’s charm. Color selections range from conventional to personalized to fit your flair. If you buy quality windows, you will probably live with your choices for a long time. Pick a style that you love!
Popular Window Styles
One of the main concerns when considering windows is the style to choose. The window style you choose depends on your home’s architecture, the window’s function, and your budget.
- Single and Double-Hung Windows. One of the most common design choices. A single-hung window usually opens from the bottom, while a double-hung window can open from the top and bottom.
- Slider Windows. Opened by sliding windows from side to side.
- Casement Windows. Have vertical hinges and swing open.
- Awning Windows. Opened by tilting the window outward from the bottom. They resemble an awning when open.
- Bay and Bow Windows. These are three-sectioned windows extending outward from the main walls.
After deciding on a style, consider the window’s construction material. Wood and vinyl are two popular options.
- Wooden Windows. These are appreciated for their traditional look and excellent thermal insulation. However, wood windows require some maintenance. They need to be treated for dampness and rot on occasion and painted or stained periodically.
- Vinyl windows. Very popular because they are stylish, low-maintenance, and inexpensive.
The glass package is one of the essential components of a window’s energy efficiency. There are two main types of windowpane glass: dual and triple.
Dual-Pane Windows. These have two panes of glass separated by a non-toxic, insulating gas. With triple-pane windows, you get a third layer of glass.
Low-Emissivity (Low-E) Glass Coating. This option is something else to consider. Low-E glaze is applied to the glass to limit the heat passing through the glass. The Low-E coating minimizes heat absorption and loss, helping to cut monthly energy expenses in the long run.
Learn More About Your Window Options
At Desert King Windows, we understand the importance of your window installation project. We are available to assist you in your selections, taking great pride in our customer service. In the Phoenix area, call us at 480-785-3923 or use our Contact form at www.desertkingwindows.com to learn more about our available options and how we can help you select the perfect windows.
Desert King Windows – We Knock Out the Weather!